My ex-husband is supposed to pick up our child from my house at 6 p.m. on Friday to begin his weekend parenting time, but he is consistently 45 minutes to one hour late? What can I do about this?

You need to file a parenting time violation with the Friend of the Court (FOC) in your county.  In Kent County, there is no cost to file.  If the FOC determines there is enough evidence to investigate, they will do so and will make a recommendation to the court.  The FOC can recommend anything from loss of parenting time for the violating parent, to a temporary suspension of parenting time, to a permanent change to the parenting time schedule.

I have physical custody of my minor children, but my ex and I share legal custody. Can I move with my children from Grand Rapids to Petoskey?

Only with permission from your ex or, if your ex does not agree, with permission from the court. Michigan law presumes that your children have a legal residence with both parents. Because you share legal custody of your children with your ex, you can only move more than 100 miles from that residence if your ex agrees, or if not, with a court order granted after a hearing.

On the other hand, if you had sole legal custody of your children, you could move more than 100 miles without permission from your ex and without court order.

Michigan Family Law: Are Child Support Payments Tax Deductible?

No. Child support payments are not included in the taxable income of the spouse receiving said child support and therefore cannot be deducted from the taxable income of the spouse who is making the support payments.

Mike Toburen - Attorney at Law   

Free Initial Consultation

Attorney Mike Toburen

(616) 425-9212
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

230 Fulton St E, Suite 7
Grand Rapids, MI 49503

© 2017 - Toburen Law