My ex-husband is supposed to pick up our child from my house at 6 p.m. on Friday to begin his weekend parenting time, but he is consistently 45 minutes to one hour late? What can I do about this?

You need to file a parenting time violation with the Friend of the Court (FOC) in your county.  In Kent County, there is no cost to file.  If the FOC determines there is enough evidence to investigate, they will do so and will make a recommendation to the court.  The FOC can recommend anything from loss of parenting time for the violating parent, to a temporary suspension of parenting time, to a permanent change to the parenting time schedule.

I have physical custody of my minor children, but my ex and I share legal custody. Can I move with my children from Grand Rapids to Petoskey?

Although Dave and Amber never married, they were in a long-term relationship and had three minor children together, ages 16, 10 and 8. After their relationship unexpectedly ended several years prior, Amber filed for custody so she could force to Dave to pay child support, which she needed to live on her own and to help provide for the children.

Dave and Amber were able to quickly settle their custody case since they decided on joint legal custody, joint physical custody and 50/50 parenting time. Dave also agreed to pay child support according to the Michigan Child Support Formula.

Read more: I have physical custody of my minor children, but my ex and I share legal custody. Can I move...

Michigan Family Law: Are Child Support Payments Tax Deductible?

No. Child support payments are not included in the taxable income of the spouse receiving said child support and therefore cannot be deducted from the taxable income of the spouse who is making the support payments.

© 2021 - Toburen Law